Hokkien - A Frog In A Coconut Shell?

Hello, Welcome Here!


12 Ways To Show That You Care
Life Has Its Ups and Downs
Some Words To Describe Our Positive Qualities
Spiritual Words And Expressions
Hokkien - Words That Build Up Your Spirit


Speak Hokkien Series 1061


1. Deed Of Bringing Up Someone

    Iōng Iǒk Chǐ Oōn

2. Love At First Sight

    Ìt Kiěn Chiǒng Chěng

3. Caused A Misunderstanding

    Sāi Sěng Gǒh Huěy 

4. Someone To Talk To

    Kōng Oǎy Ěh Tuì Siǒng

5. Emphasize Personal Reputation And
    Dignity

    Tiǒng Bǐn Chù Siòh Bǐn Phuéy

6. Take Advantage Of

    Chǎy Soǒn Hōng Chún

7. All Sorts Of Trials And Tribulations

    Tuǎh Hōng Tuǎh Èng

8. To Be Successful

    Chūt Láng Tǎo Tǎy


9. Extremely Well Informed

    Siǎo Sǐt Chǐn Lǐn Thōng

10. Time Waits For No One

     Sǐ Kān Bǒh Tān Láng


Please follow the video below:



Parting Power Quotes: 
Any informed borrower is simply less vulnerable to fraud and abuse.
Alan Greenspan

Art is pattern informed by sensibility.
Herbert Read

As citizens we have to be more thoughtful and more educated and more informed. I turn on the TV and I see these grown people screaming at each other, and I think, well, if we don't get our civility back, we're in trouble.
Emmylou Harris

As population susceptibilities are better understood, we will be in a better position than we are in today to make informed decisions about risk management.
Samuel Wilson

Being a former dancer, classical dancer, it informed me as a human being just in terms of the grace I guess. Ballet is a very graceful form of art. You also become very aware of your body and your mind and your body is working in conjunction. That kind of helps you in acting as well. It's not only using your mind, it's like making your mind communicate this character into your body so that you can bring it to life and physicalize it.
Zoe Saldana

Citizenship is a tough occupation which obliges the citizen to make his own informed opinion and stand by it.
Martha Gellhorn

Even very young children need to be informed about dying. Explain the concept of death very carefully to your child. This will make threatening him with it much more effective.
P. J. O'Rourke

I am reluctant to judge things without being informed.
Giorgio Moroder

I don't feel particularly comfortable about actors using whatever power they may have to push their beliefs, unless they're extremely well informed.
Ralph Fiennes

I think we risk becoming the best informed society that has ever died of ignorance.
Ruben Blades

I was informed... that some... were dreaming and wished to return.
Zebulon Pike

If people are informed they will do the right thing. It's when they are not informed that they become hostages to prejudice.
Charlayne Hunter-Gault

Individuals and nations owe it to themselves and the world to become informed.
Paul Harris

Informed decision-making comes from a long tradition of guessing and then blaming others for inadequate results.
Scott Adams


25 comments:

Hai Iam said...

Hoh ah.

ching ee said...

Hi, very nice lesson

admire u said...

boh kantan

manuela said...

luv fookien

phah leng tao said...

deep hokkien

fish chang said...

best

don said...

not bad

wasup said...

proud of u

i said...

zhan!

chinese bamboo said...

wow!

wilson said...

hey, write a book

chartchai said...

avid follower

kC said...

next lesson?

crossrds said...

wonderful hokkien

Anonymous said...

enjoyable

blaine said...

enriching lessons.

han6688 said...

thumbs up

zhu rong said...

hen hao

zli3454 said...

bagus

chong bin said...

short n sweet

poh7788 said...

can u tranSLATE SOME WORDS FOR ME IN HOKKIEN?

Jaymie Mann Kit said...

Hi there
How do you say "I'm thirsty" in Hokkien? I am Hokkien but I forgot as I have been living overseas for years. >,< Thanks!

Jordan James Jesse said...

Jaymie:

I am thirsty

Wa1(I) chui4(mouth) tah1(dry)

Jordan

Anonymous said...

Jordan,

I am a Taiwanese-American. Recently, I discovered audiotape recordings of myself as a very young child speaking fluent Hokkien, and I was ashamed to find that I could not understand myself.

Thank you for your tireless efforts on this site. Your patient readings will surely help me in re-learning my mother tongue.

One thing that helped me greatly with learning mandarin but that I have not seen on your site are the use of dialogues, because it shows proper grammar and use in a household conversation. I understand that it is far more difficult to write a full dialogue than to simply find new vocabulary, but I hope you will be able to provide these as a teaching tool.

Regards,
Josh (ah su)

Jordan James Jesse said...

Hi Josh (ah su),

Thanks for your thought.
Quite a number of Hokkiens suffer a serious lack of vocabulary to the extend that they have peppered their Hokkien conversation with Mandarin, Cantonese, English, Malay, Thai, Vietnamese, Tagalog, Khmer, Myanmar etc words. Their Hokkien is basic and limited. Many Hokkiens have even stopped using Hokkien in favor of other languages in many countries.

My blog aims to break this barrier and to encourage the use of our Hokkien/Bannam/Taigi mother tongue. Yes, I do intend to include some dialogues but vocabulary is my focus as vocabulary is needed to reactivate the language.

I encourage you to converse with others often. That's the best way to improve.

Regards

Jordan