John Lothrop Motley
All ambitions are lawful except those which climb upward on the miseries or credulities of mankind.
As a rule lawyers tend to want to do whatever they can to win.
As for lawyers, it's more fun to play one than to be one.
Avoid lawsuits beyond all things; they pervert your conscience, impair your health, and dissipate your property.
Jean de la Bruyere
Compromise is the best and cheapest lawyer.
Robert Louis Stevenson
He is no lawyer who cannot take two sides.
- protection money - pōh hǒr hooǐ
- clean dealings – lǎi lǒr chèng tōng
- abnormal dealings - bǒh chèng sióng ěh kuǎn huěy
- carry on wrongdoing - īt chǒh chài chǒh
- put on a show - phuǎh chīt chūt hǐ
- surrender to law – tǎo ǎun , chǔ siù
- beneficial evidence - iū lǐ ěh chèng kǔ
- strongest suspicion - siǒng tuǎh ěh hiǎm gí
- secret survelliance - ùm tiōng kàm sǐ
- bribe - ǒrr sāy
- fugitive - tǒh bóng, thǒng chīt huǎn
- moral point of view – tǒh gǐ siǒng
- approval - thǒng kuěy
- commit wrong - huǎn chǒh