Hokkien is the surviving language of the Tang Dynasty (618-907AD), China 's Golden Age of Culture. Note: The Hokkien we hear today have "evolved" from its original form 2,000 years ago, but it still retains the main elements of the Tang Dynasty Language.
Hokkiens are the surviving descendants of the Tang Dynasty -- When the Tang Dynasty collapsed, the people of the Tang Dynasty fled South and sought refuge in the Hokkien ( Fujian ) province. Hence, Hokkien called themselves Tng-lang (Tang Ren or People of the Tang Dynasty) instead of Hua Lang (Hua Ren).
The collection of the famous "Three Hundred Tang Dynasty Poems" sound better when recited in Hokkien/Teochew if compared to Mandarin.
Consider this for a moment: Today, the Hokkien Nam Yim ochestral performance still has its roots in ancient Tang dynasty music. Here's the proof: The formation of today Nam Yim ensemble is typically seen in ancient Tang dynasty paintings of musicians.
Although not genetically-related, Hokkiens, Koreans and Japanese share many similar words (which are different from Mandarin).
That's because Hokkien was the official language of the powerful Tang Dynasty whose influence and language spread to Japan and Korea (just like Latin – where many words were borrowed by the English, French, Italian, etc).
Hokkien - What Words Can Be Spoken At The Right Time?
Life Has Its Ups and Downs
Hokkien - Words That Build Up Your Spirit
Spiritual Words And Expressions
Pealing Our Emotions And Characteristics
Hello, Welcome Here!
Speak Hokkien Series 1028
1. honorable - khoh3 siong4
2. exercise good judgement - chiah1 oo3 gan1 kong1
3. human goodness and innocence - lin3 seng1 eh3 sien3 liong2
4. open mind - khai3 thong1, khai3 beng2
5. wholeheartedly - it1 seng1 it1 ee1
6. full attention - chiong3 moa4 sim4 sin2
7. recover from failure - tong3 san1 chai4 ki4
8. not disappoint your hope - bay3 kor3 hu3 li4 eh3 ki3 tai3
9. dependent for life - chit1 si4 lang2 eh3 oah1 khoh3
10. protect, defend - ooi3 hor3